• Nancy Pelosi got an early, if unusual, endorsement from Mr. Trump in her bid to reclaim her title as House speaker. Read more on the president’s surprising support.
• Ms. Pelosi and the new Democratic majority face conflicting pressures to serve as a check on Mr. Trump but not alienate voters by overreaching. Here’s why they must tread carefully.
• Election Day may be over, but the outcomes of some races remain in doubt. Here’s a guide to where they stand.
• Mr. Trump said he would not meet with President Vladimir Putin of Russia this weekend. After weeks of conflicting reports on the on-again, off-again plans, Mr. Trump says they will meet instead in Buenos Aires later in the month.
• Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has made little headway with North Korea in finalizing a second summit meeting between Mr. Trump and Kim Jong-un. Here’s why.
Today’s On Politics briefing was compiled by Margaret Kramer in New York.
Check back later for On Politics With Lisa Lerer, a nightly newsletter exploring the people, issues and ideas reshaping the political world.
Is there anything you think we’re missing? Anything you want to see more of? We’d love to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com.